Saturday, July 23, 2011

In anticipation of the AMT Meyers Manx reissue....

I have campaigned for years publically and behind the scenes for a reissue of the AMT Meyers Manx dune buggy kit.  When this kit was first issued in 1969, it was among the most popular kits in all modeling (judging from the stock builds seen at the MPC contests of the day); right up there with Monogram's BadMan kit, and the original AMT Gas Ronda longnose Mustang kit.  

To prove my point,, a couple of years ago I built a series of the Manx kits (I had never built one when the kit first came out), to go along with my MPC Dean Jeffries Koyote II dune buggy that I won at one of those MPC contests and built back in the day.  

Here's the complete stock buildup (built from several eBay parts kits - I would never pay collector prices for a kit like this).  The only non stock part of this is the tires, which are MPC Goodyear Blue Streaks from the same era, and the use of a second set of tailamps to provide quad lamps (a technique seen on some Manxes back in the day).  And yes, the if you look closely at the paint, you'll see it is based on the same spray can paint fade technique that I demonstrate in the current  (July/August 2011) issue of Scale Auto

 

 

If you'd like to see my entire collection of Dune Buggy builds, including the off-road (bodyless) version of the Manx kit with a kitbashed Corvair engine, just click on the link below.

 http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/boyd-dune-buggies/

 Like many of you, I can't wait for the AMT Manx reissue to hit the shelves for the first ime in about 40 years,.  YEAH!   Thanks for looking....TIM

 

Source: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/SCACS/forums/thread/968750.aspx

Dan Gurney Hubert Hahne Mike Hailwood Mika Häkkinen Bruce Halford

No comments:

Post a Comment